Fall Movie Essentials

Jaela Staker shares her opinion on the best movies to watch this fall season.

Autumn

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox– The orange and brown color palette, countryside setting, and whimsical characters all make Fantastic Mr. Fox, directed by Wes Anderson, the perfect fall film. When Mr. Fox gets bored of his life, he plans a heist against three local farmers in the area. The dialogue is very sophisticated and flawlessly voiced by the cast which makes It equally enjoyable for kids and adults. It is extremely witty and funny and is a must watch during this season.
  2. When Harry Met SallyAlthough it can be enjoyed in any season, When Harry Met Sally, directed by Rob Reiner, feels more like a fall film to me with its warm filter and cold weather. It is a love story about two “friends” who can’t tell if they hate each other or love each other. All you want while watching the film is for them to accept that it’s love. It is the perfect rom-com and even more perfect while watching on a fall night in.
  3. Juno– Directed by Jason Reitman, Juno is about a high school student who gets knocked up by her awkward but lovable boyfriend. She makes an unexpected decision regarding the future of her unborn child and finds a couple seeking a child in the paper. It is a hilariously complex film with witty dialogue that fully engages the audience. It only takes place in autumn in the beginning of the film, but the autumnal vibe is carried through the rest of the film.

Halloween

1. Over the Garden WallOver the Garden Wall, directed by Nate Cash, is an animated short series about two brothers who get lost in the forest on Halloween and are forced to get along to find their way home. They meet many people and creatures along their journey to help them find their way home, each with its own individual personality. It is beautifully created and voiced to perfection. It is also super hilarious which is hard to find in kid shows. Watching it makes you feel like a little kid again.
  2. Hocus PocusThere are so many films that are classic kid Halloween, but Hocus Pocus, directed by Kenny Ortega, has to be my favorite one. It stands the test of time with its cast, story, and especially its humor. I find myself quoting this film all the time during the Halloween season. The cast just has so much chemistry and it creates a wonderful sense  of nostalgia for returning viewers which makes it an enjoyable watch for so many.
  3. HalloweenOf course, I can’t exclude Halloween, directed by John Carpenter, from the list. This classic film is about Micheal Myers, a killer, and his target, Laurie. Rather than being a “who done it” film it is a “why do it” film. It is never explicitly explained in the film why he kills people which makes it all the more scary. There have been 13 films under the Halloween franchise and more to come which gives you an understanding on how impactful these films are.

Scary

1. Scream– Scream is an absolute must watch during the Halloween season, there is a reason they keep making more movies. Directed by Wes Craven, Scream is a “who done it” film that keeps you on your feet. The movie starts with a murder that sets the tone for the rest of the movie. It manages to make fun of itself while still staying serious and scary which makes it a frightening and fun watch.
  2. Get OutGet Out is directed by Jordan Peele. The main character Chris is visiting his girlfriend’s parents house for the weekend when things start to go wrong. He can tell something is off as soon as they arrive, but it is not what he expects. It keeps you on edge the whole time and is not only an amazing horror film but is also a satire on racism that makes it an uncomfortable watch for some, rightfully so. It is disturbing but still finds moments to add humor.
  3. Hereditary– Directed by Ari Asher, Hereditary is about a family who just lost their grandma and the problems that unravel after her death. It is one of the best horror films out there, it is unsettling, emotional, and will leave you questioning so many things. Unlike traditional horror movies, Hereditary doesn’t rely on jump-scares to frighten the audience like most horror movies but is more complex with its horrifying effects. It is a raw and complicated must watch.

Honorable Mentions

1. What We Do in the ShadowsWhat We Do in the Shadows is a hilarious take on vampires and werewolves in the real world. It is directed by Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement who also play the main characters. Every line of dialogue in this film is a quotable masterpiece, which you don’t find in many comedies. It is a perfect fall comedy. If you enjoy the film then consider watching the equally hilarious show!
  2. CoralineOne of my favorite films of all time, Coraline, directed by Henry Selick, is most enjoyable during the fall season. When Coraline feels neglected by her parents, she finds other ways to entertain herself, like exploring a whole different world. She finds herself trapped in the other world and has to fight her way out. Everything in this film is perfectly crafted and presented and creates an eerie and mystical watch.
  3. CocoCoco, directed by Lee Unkrich, explores the Mexican holiday, Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead. It is about a boy, Miguel, who gets trapped in the Land of the Dead while trying to prove himself to his family. He learns the true meaning behind the holiday from the people who help him return home. It is so emotional and beautiful, not only through the storytelling but also through the animation.