What is Celiac Disease and how does MHS Support students who suffer?

Even through suffering with a disease that changes everyday aspects of life, you can survive.

Celiac disease is an inherited autoimmune disorder that causes a digestive reaction to the protein, gluten. With Celiac disease, the body creates antibodies against gluten, causing symptoms of an allergic reaction.

While it’s nice to know about these diseases, why is it relevant to our student body? A lot of students 

at MHS struggle with Celiac disease and are unaware that other food options are available so they don’t have to avoid school provided lunches. Alisha Eggers, the Food and Nutrition Supervisor for the Muscatine Community School District, helps students regulate their diets to exclude gluten. Alisha Eggers also lives with Celiac disease herself. 36 years ago Eggers was diagnosed after 4 months of suffering with sickness.

Eggers knows the struggle, and therefore knows how to help. In a phone interview with Eggers, she gave many options for alternative meals, excluding gluten. Some of the options she included are:

• Gluten free buns
  • Salads
  • Gluten free pizza
  • Taco salad

These are only a few options provided at our school, and Eggers added that the district can purchase almost anything gluten free. Many more students eat lunch at school than breakfast, but there is still a need for gluten free breakfast items. There are not many options for gluten free breakfast, cereal is the main item. Eggers shared that they are still looking into more breakfast items, but they can do the same thing as lunch, purchase different options.

Within the 36 years that Eggers has been struggling with Celiac disease she has come to a couple conclusions, there are some things containing gluten that people with Celiac disease can eat. It all depends on the person and “gluten free bread tastes better, slightly toasted,” said Eggers.