Faculty Farewell: Bob Baillie

Wishing one of our favorite security guards an amazing retirement!

You’re walking through the hallway having a great day because you’re having an amazing hairday. Then you look up, and realize this curly mullet is better than anything you have ever seen. With no surprise, its Bob Baillie.

Mr. Bob Baillie is one of the amazing security guards here at MHS. Known for his toe shoes and curly 80’s style hair, Mr. Baillie has become a friendly face to many staff and students over his 9 years working here. 

Before getting his job here at the high school he worked at HON for 25 years. 

“When I left there I was trying to find something that I would enjoy and my wife was a teacher here, Mrs. Bailie said to me, ‘Why don’t you go to the high school’, you love working with kids,” he recalled. 

Even though we know him as a security guard currently, he started as a para-educator for about four to five years before applying for his current position. 

He wasn’t originally interested in the job, but he explained, “Some people came up to me and said you should look into it, so I decided to take it.”

Although he is currently retiring, he speaks very highly of his time here despite the difficult nature of his job. 

Bob even said, “I’ve enjoyed it so much, this is really hard for me to leave, it’s just that time for me. I just need to.”

As his wife said before, he loves working with young people and that has remained a part of his job that he loves.

“I love working with young people, it keeps you young at heart, trust me,” he said. 

With all of his free time after this, he and his wife plan to visit their new grandchildren in Virginia and North Carolina.

Overall, he said, “We are going to travel the country. We bought a small travel trailer, we’ll be camping and hiking and doing all that fun stuff.”

Because of this, he will be able to put his unique shoes to good use as he travels around and lives the active life he enjoys so much. Bob started wearing his toe shoes about 15 years ago and even though people think they’re a little odd, he still loves them. 

It all started because of his love for being barefoot and gardening, saying, “Every once while I’ll be stepping on something and I’ll just be like, ‘god that hurts,’ so I saw these shoes and I thought, well that’s the next best thing. I tried some on and the rest is history.”

Bob and his wife seem to keep the company in business, having a combined number of over 50 pairs of these special shoes specifically for every occasion. 

Overall, Mr. Baillie’s presence and personality will definitely be missed here at MHS and we hope he has a great retirement!