How do you Feel About Having a Heart Attack Today?

Everyday we hear how bad it is to have energy drinks as a growing teen, but why? What does it do to our bodies?

As teens we hear almost everyday what is and isn’t good for us. We should exercise more, make sure to get enough sun, and don’t vape or drink. Among these things, most commonly we hear about the effects of energy drinks on our bodies. Especially living in an area where energy drinks are very popular, we hear this a lot, but how much validity is behind these arguments?

For starters, energy drinks aren’t great for anyone. Whether you are an adult or a teen, caffeine can always have negative side effects. Most energy drinks have between 100-200 mg of caffeine in them. While some, like Bang and Reign, have up to 300 mg of caffeine, which is equivalent to three cups of coffee. 

Energy drinks contain ingredients called stimulants, such as taurine and carnitine, which are often advertised on the cans. These stimulants increase alertness and can temporarily boost energy levels. 

As high school students, we lead busy lives. From balancing work, school, relationships, and even sports and clubs, we are always moving and going. We often turn to outside factors to boost our energy and many times this is drinks like energy drinks and coffee, because they boost our alertness. They are beneficial in areas of our lives like school, when we are able to feel focused on the task at hand.

Though these may seem great at the moment, in the long run they can pose some health risks to consumers. Stimulants like caffeine can speed up heart rates and cause anxiety and jitteriness. 

The CDC recommends that adolescents don’t drink energy drinks altogether, due to these potential side effects. but are aware of their ever growing popularity among youth. The CDC stresses that even when using them, to make sure that you aren’t relying on them for hydration, especially if you are an athlete.

What do you think? Are they worth the risk?