Dealing with Sports Injuries

Get to know more about the reality of Sports Injuries from one of our Mighty Muskie Football players.

With the start of the fall sports season, players work hard at their sport and some push the limits. When choosing to play a sport, you have to decide whether the risk is worth it. Students like Lincoln Brookhart, Senior and Captain of the MHS Varsity Football team, take the risk.

Lincoln was very excited for the first game of the Football season but his emotions took a quick turn.

“It was our first offensive drive of our first game. I was blocking my guy and I turned him towards the inside of the field. While I was facing the guy one of our guys was pancaking a defensive tackle. Those two guys landed on my ankle and I heard a snap. I had broken my fibula and had to go to the ER,” said Lincoln.Even after his injury, Lincoln supports his team in whichever way he can.“Being a captain I am seen as a leader on this team, so I try to stay as positive as possible. I also bring knowledge for some of the newer guys to our team,” said Lincoln.

Lincoln has not let the idea of getting injured stop him from participating in the sports he loves.

“Playing a sport is 100 percent worth it. There is nothing like a sports team. You will make a family playing a sport. Sports are the best thing that schools offer. There is nothing like it. Especially football there is nothing like Friday Night Lights. A whole stadium cheering you on it is a surreal feeling,” said Lincoln.

Lincoln was also injured during soccer season and has advice for other players who have gotten injured.
“Make connections with people, especially your coaches. Your coaches care about you. Be a good friend to your teammates. Don’t get hung up on the past, just be happy you got to play with a team,” said Lincoln.

Although there is risk when you decide to play a sport, you should still put yourself out there!