Quitting: Is It Always a Bad Thing?

Although quitting has a bad reputation it is sometimes the best decision for students.

To become settled into their schedule, students have made adjustments to either their extracurriculars or academic classes. Although this decision to drop something can be difficult or stressful at the moment, in the long run, healthy quitting helps manage stress during the year and can be extremely beneficial to prevent burnout.  

Personally, from quitting things like dance, wrestling, and softball, no matter how long I did them, I have yet to regret that decision. This assurance is because I knew that I had not taken the decision lightly and that a majority of the effects it came with were positive, or negative ones were not long-lasting. 

Although trying new things and challenging yourself are great things to do, you know yourself best, so it is up to you to decide if you should really stick with it or give it up. Sometimes others will try and convince you to not quit. But, if you are truly happy with your decision and have thoroughly thought about it, then explain your thought process and don’t let them influence the best path for you.  

Even this year I experienced moments where I nearly decided to drop a class because it felt like it may be too much for me when combined with other factors. Despite not officially making that schedule change for myself, it is the best option for many. 

It is really easy to sign up for a course-load that is rigorous the year before because the credits look good or many of your friends are taking it. But, when the year starts. it is okay to decide you made a mistake. That maybe you gave yourself a bit more than you could actually handle. In the end that is okay as long as you are still reaching those more necessary goals, such as credit requirements. It is always possible to try again another year or take that college course once you actually get to college. 

When you make the right decision for yourself and for the right reasons, it provides immense relief. This allows for more enjoyment of other classes or activities that can now have a bit more of your focus, so don’t be afraid to.