Mr Stone: Merry & Musical

Get to know the brand new choral director Mr Stone and all of the things he does!!

Music is a beautiful form of self expression that helps people open up and find themselves. Music can be made in many different forms and settings, like bands, orchestras, and choirs. The art of music has also been correlated to relaxation, and fun and carefree activities like when you really just need to dance. But something that really stands out is MHS’s very own music program, and a brand new addition to the staff who loves to cheer others up.     

With a need for a new Choral Director to help out our existing program, New Wartburg College graduate, Hayden Stone from Colorado stepped up to the plate for this opportunity. His position gives him the chance to direct songs for the various MHS Choirs.

Mr Stone, middle row on the right, singing in a choir during college.

“Growing up I always did music. I joined a semi professional children’s chorale as a kid, and in high school I always tried to do every activity I could,” said Stone.

Stone has always had a passion for music and performing it for others. He also has always loved to stay busy while making sure to give back to his community, while in the meantime by things like helping to solve the water crisis. He ended up raising 60 or 70 thousand dollars throughout High school for that cause.

“ I directed several choirs in high school and was in the Top Madrigal Choir my Senior year. I played the prince so I even got to wear a little crown!” said Stone.

Along with his passion for directing and helping others make music, he has also always loved to make people smile and have them feel like they can have a safe place to be themselves. But Stone didn’t always want to be a teacher until a certain inspiration made it clear that’s what he wanted to do.

“I remember when I was at my Junior year All State Choir, my conductor was Doctor Andre Thomas from Florida State University, and after watching him teach I went ‘I want to do that everyday for the rest of my life,’” said Stone.

Mr. Stone directing a bass clef choir.

With Stone being inspired to reach his goal of directing a choir one day, he started the search for colleges where he could eventually achieve his dreams. He knew he wanted to go out of state and started the search for a college fit for his goals.

“I was down to about 10 schools from around the country in places like California, Washington, Ohio, Wisconsin, and just kind of all over the place, but I found out that the choirs in the Midwest, specifically Iowa, are really good. So I knew I wanted to go to a school out here and Wartburg college ended up being a really good fit,” said Stone. 

Mr Stones pet newt named S’mores.

Stone is a very passionate person who really focuses on his education, while still keeping a smile on his face and lifting others spirits in the meantime. The first MHS choir concert was held on October 9th and was Mr. Stone’s directorial debut at MHS. He kept everyone’s spirits up the whole time by encouraging comments, and plenty of fistbumps.

“The first concert went really well, every group went on, sang, and went off. Which was exactly what they were supposed to do and they did a really good job of it,” said Stone. 

While Mr. Stone is amazing at directing choirs and teaching music, he loves being a goofball and even describes himself as “silly-goofy, energetic, and passionate”. Stone even included his choirs in the reveal and name choice of his new pet, a Spanish ribbed newt named S’mores.

Mr. Stone is adjusting greatly to the MHS choral environment while collaborating with his fellow choral staff and by making student teacher connections with students. In the end, Mr. Stone is an inspirational person who shows that dreams really do come true, and that you can still have fun while working towards them.

View Comments (1)