Daily Life With Diabetes

Lauren Audas shares her experience of living with diabetes in high school as a student and an athlete.

Living with diabetes can be very challenging and can come with some unforeseen obstacles, but Lauren Audas, a Senior this year at MHS, shares that diabetes doesn’t hold her back.

Lauren has been living with type 1 diabetes since her freshman year of high school. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes both pose their own difficulties, but the causes of each are very different. According to UVA Health, type 1 diabetes means the pancreas can’t make insulin, and with type 2 the pancreas makes a lower level of insulin that can’t be used in the normal way.

Managing diabetes for some may involve a strict routine and for others, it could be daily maintenance practices. 

“I just have an app on my phone that tells me my blood sugar levels,” Lauren shared. 

Lauren also said that she carries candy with her for when her blood sugar is low. Though these may seem simple in theory, there can often be misunderstandings about why she has these things on her.

“It’s mostly with teachers just asking why I have my phone out. Or if the class is really quiet and I have to open a bag of candy and it crinkles, it’s literally terrible,” said Lauren.

Communication is important to have with peers and teachers and in some cases conflict can be a problem, but Lauren shares that this isn’t much of an issue for her.

“I’ve never really had any conflict with it. For me, it’s just been like a quick conversation like, Hey, I have type 1 diabetes. I need to keep this with me,” Lauren said 

Diabetes can cause many side effects and these can be different for everyone. Lauren is able to recognize the signs when her blood sugar is low or high, and she knows what she needs in those moments.

“I always keep with me my insulin pen, a few needle caps, and just some candy and usually a granola bar or two in case I don’t just want handfuls of candy at the time because it can make me feel sick,” Lauren added.

Lauren is a part of the MHS pom team, and this can affect her blood sugar at different times. This is where her ability to be able to tell what she needs comes in handy.

“Especially at practices, I have to sit down sometimes because it’ll be too low and I feel shaky and could pass out,” Lauren said.

School and sports aren’t the only things that can be affected by diabetes. Friendships can be too, but Lauren shares a lighthearted take on the topic.

“Mostly me and my friends just make jokes about it all the time,” Lauren shared.

Laurens’s positive outlook on life with diabetes is admirable. She continues to not let it hold her back in her everyday life and activities, as she adapts to different situations.

“Just like with anything that happens in life, you just adjust and then it becomes a new normal,” said Lauren