Marika, Everyone’s Mom.

Marika, her purpose and why.

Marika Krause is a security officer here at MHS. Most students know and refer to her as Mama K. She takes pride in what she does and wouldn’t change it for a thing. “I love what I do. I can’t see myself doing anything else,” said Mama K.

We all know and love her but surely there is more to unravel. Who exactly is Mama K? Who helped shape her into the person she is now? What does working in this department mean to her?

She sees herself as “hyper-creative expressive,” a phrase made up for herself. Being creative and open but also pretty hyper, she expressed how she could be “like a hummingbird.” As for her hobbies outside of work, she enjoys hunting, fishing, and making crafts. She also knows how to play the guitar!

Mama K was born and raised in Evreux, France. However, Marika and her family moved around a bit and ended up living in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Krause moved to Iowa in 2000. She started working in the school district in 2010 and started her position here at the high school five years ago. Later she began as a one-on-one para and then was welcomed on the MHS security team.

As a security officer, she takes her job seriously but also describes herself as “very laid back”. She is so much more than just a staff member, she’s everyone’s mom. Mama K takes the time to get to know “her Kids,” (The MHS Students). Being treated like a real person instead of just a student is what teenage kids need. She creates bonds with them by understanding and listening to their needs.

“If y’all need someone to talk to I’m here for you. I mean it’s not in my job description, my job description is to, you know, shake you down and take you to the office and make sure you’re in class. But you guys are so much more than that.” said Mama K.

Students have respect for authorities when it goes both ways. Krause’s love and appreciation towards her kids is the reason we all call her “Momma K”. She makes them feel safe, heard, understood, and most importantly loved.

Krause also works with kids after school, meeting in a public place to help them with schoolwork. If a student needs anything that the school can’t provide Mama K works on getting that student what they need to be successful. This brings us to the question, what inspired her to be in this field of work?

“A lady helped me, Camelia Fowler, and I promised her that I would pay it forward so how she helped me ever since then, since 1988 I have been paying it forward to people.”

Mama K mentioned Camelia Fowler several times explaining how much Camelia helped her and how grateful she is to have met her. Fowler was working with Marika’s mom, she would always go to work with her mom to see her. Before Camelia passed, she asked Marika to promise to pay her kindness forward. That is exactly what Marika has been doing since 1988.

“I promised her because of what she did for me. A person is only as good as their word”

She does her best to help out others, not for praise, but because it is the right thing to do.
Of course, there are times when things are difficult for her but she always comes right back up because she remembers “Those are my kids.”

Given that students love and respect her, what do the staff think of her?

“I know some staff have questions about my unorthodox way of doing things.” Despite this, she doesn’t let anything or anyone get in the way of doing what she loves. She grew up knowing the importance of self-worth. Taking pride in who she is and what she does.

So who is she? She is a fearless strong open-minded woman. She’s understanding and sweet. Most importantly, she’s our Mom.