Hallway Crushes: Daily Delusions

A look into how MHS students feel about hallway crushes.

It’s just another regular school day, the bell rings and you get up to leave class. You walk in the halls following the same route you’ve followed dozens of times before, but today something’s different. You see someone. Someone you’ve never seen. You can’t seem to look away. You watch them walk into their next class, leaving you sort of stunned and confused as to how you never noticed them before.

Now you might have experienced this situation before, I will admit I played the drama up a bit, these are the beginning stages of a hallway crush. A hallway crush is when you find yourself liking someone you’ve only ever seen in the halls, though you may never speak to them or even have the real desire to. You might’ve guessed by my descriptive introduction that I’ve had a hallway crush before, but you’re not here to read about my delusions so let’s hear from some other MHS students.

There’s a wide variety of opinions on and experiences with hallway crushes according to MHS students. Some feel that hallway crushes are weird while others think they’re just harmless fun and delusion.

It seems that girls might have hallway crushes more often than guys do, or perhaps they are just more open about it.

During our interview, Sophomore London Meyer shared stories of various hallway crushes as well as the fact that she’s had many during her time at MHS. When asked if she’s ever had a hallway crush she responded, “Duh, probably like 500.”

In contrast, Senior Creed Birkhoffer was far more hesitant to answer. A simple yet reluctant “yes” sufficed for his answer.

Hallway crushes can begin to affect your day-to-day, some people even switch up their route to catch a glimpse of their crush.

“You know a few times, I’ve sort of changed my route to see someone in the halls and then I end up being like 15 minutes late to class,” said London.

Now to some, things like this might seem sort of creepy, but Creed stated that things like changing your route are only stalking if you get caught.

“It can be kind of weird but if it’s still convenient, it’s kind of whatever,” admitted Creed.

In a survey of MHS students, there was a 50/50 split on whether or not they have hallway crushes.

Hallway crushes can last for days or even months for some, but at the end of the day, most people agree they are just a silly way to make the school day a little less boring.

Do you have a hallway crush? Be sure to tell us your thoughts in the comments!

View Comments (1)