The Miraculous Murals of Muscatine

Read about the artistic process Chris Anderson uses to make beautiful murals around our town.

Muscatine, Iowa, is marked with beautiful, vibrant, and captivating murals by several different talented artists. One artist is Chris Anderson, a local artist whose creativity and dedication brings culture and color not just onto various walls of our beloved downtown, but also across our community as well.

Chris Anderson has always felt a deep passion for creating and sharing his art. Growing up, he excelled in his art classes and used them to express himself. However, creating these murals only started 10 years ago.

“I decided to try and make art that reached more people. In order to do that, I learned what kind of murals would work, and also make art with pearls and other things reaching many more people. I have shipped art across the world and I currently sell art at the National Pearl Museum,” stated Anderson.

Chris might make it seem like an easy job, but don’t be fooled, it is a lengthy process to even begin one of his murals.

“It starts with an idea from a client. Then we discuss the artwork and I explain the formula I use for pricing murals. If the client agrees, I set to work planning out the design. First, I look at the surface, if it is clean, smooth, ruff, etc. I spend half the time prepping this. Next, I figure out the letters of paint, what colors go on top of other colors, etc. Finally, if it’s complete, I may seal the mural or clear coat it, to protect against rain and sun damage,” explained Anderson.

These steps are taken every time he creates one of his amazing murals. The time it takes to complete these murals varies, based on different factors but they are usually completed within a few weeks. Although an exact number wasn’t provided, Anderson knows he has completed over a dozen large outdoor murals and signs in various towns across Iowa, and from all of these, Anderson has a personal favorite located inside Jefferson Elementary School’s library.

“I love the impact they have had! And honestly; I’ve only started. I have a few murals yet to be finished and more in mind for the future,” said Anderson.

His murals are not only a pretty sight, but also serve as inspiration and connect the entire community!

“I think it helps people feel good. Maybe it inspires? It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do” So next time you’re downtown be sure to take a moment and look at the murals, maybe

you’ll find yourself surprisingly inspired.”