The Perfect Galentine’s Day

Here is a cheap guide to having the perfect Galentine’s day.

What is Galentine’s day?

Galentine’s day was created by Leslie Knope in the hit sitcom Parks and Recreation, “Ladies celebrating ladies.” Set on February 13th, the day before Valentine’s day, the “gal” signifies the platonic love in your life rather than the romantic love. Since this is a relatively new holiday, there aren’t any traditions attached to it and there is lots of room to set your own rules and do your own thing. You can celebrate with a big group of people, like in the show, or with your closest friend.

Decorations- Pink and red everywhere. Decorations are a very vital part of this holiday. If there weren’t any decorations it would just feel like a normal get together. Some ideas include heart shaped balloons, flowers, candles, and some heart shaped garnish. Or you could take the cheaper route and make the decorations an arts and craft activity. 

Matching Clothes- Matching with your friends is always a good time. Whether you decide to buy matching sets and have the full twin aesthetic, choose a color theme for the party and everyone wears one color, or pick a fun theme for the party where everyone can get creative. A fun dress theme for Galentine’s day could be dress as your favorite rom-com or dress as your type. 

Food- You could do what Leslie Knope does in Parks and Recreation and have a cute brunch date. If you decide to have Galentine’s day at someone’s house, you could either bake a bunch of sweets together or have a potluck style party where everyone brings their own dish. 

Activities- A great way to encapsulate the idea of the holiday and show appreciation for one another is making cards or trading gifts. There are also lots of games you could play together whether they are card games or board games. And lastly, end the night with a classic chick flick like Mean Girls or Oceans 8!