Unleash Your Inner Star

Try out for the MHS Talent Show hosted by Key Club this Wednesday, February 21st!

With spring being right around the corner, it’s time for the MHS talent show. It’s your time to shine on stage and share your unique talents with your fellow classmates. Auditions are being held on February 21st in the auditorium and we hope to see you there! Whether you like to sing, dance, act, or be funny, the talent show is the best place for you to show what you can do. 

Senior Lexi Taylor has participated in the talent show for the past three years. Lexi is quite familiar with the audition routine and finds it to be very comfortable. 

“I believe the audition process is pretty easy and laid back, as when you audition it seems very casual. The judges do a good job of being nice and welcoming. It looks more intimidating than it is since there are five or more people there when you audition, but they’re really just there to have fun like you,” said Lexi. 

The audition process consists of Key Club Advisors, Jen Keltner and Alex Rauenbuehler, along with five or six Key Club members. The members are there to hype you up during your audition, but also to help select the best acts to be entered into the show. However, given the impressive talent at our school, in recent years, everyone who auditioned made it into the show. 

Winner of last year’s talent show, Joseph McNeely, offered inspiring advice to motivate and encourage students to audition for the show. 

“Audition even if you aren’t necessarily good at it. I was terrified when I first did it but it’s fun, it gives you a chance to perform, and gives you that experience of getting up in front of people. The audition process is super comfortable and chill,” said Joseph, Junior. 

Last year, Joseph’s winning act was a piano performance of the song I Giorni by Ludovico Einaudi. 

“I chose that song because I can really get into and feel the emotions and swells in the music,” said Joseph. “I am planning on auditioning with a piano performance again, but I’m still deciding between two songs.” 

With winning that first place prize, Joseph was awarded $100. Following that, second place gets $50 and third place gets $25. 

“I was very surprised when I found out I had won. If anyone saw me on stage I was just like [jaw dropped]. Just completely shocked and grateful,” said Joseph. 

What methods did the grand prize winner use to get ready for his act?

“To prepare for my performance, practice was key. I also made sure I was relaxed because the first year I did the talent show I panicked the whole time. I was very shaky because I was super nervous. This past year I just made sure that I took a minute to breathe in and breathe out before I started playing,” said Joseph.

Overall, the talent show is an excellent opportunity to showcase your skills and have some fun. Auditions are this Wednesday, February 21st! You can audition before school from 7:30-8:15 AM or after school from 3:30-4:15 PM. 

“You only live once! If you love performing then just audition for the talent show, especially if you don’t have another chance to. We always need more people so don’t think you’re taking anyone’s spot. Like I said before as well, the key clubbers are sweet and will encourage you. Even if you aren’t necessarily a singer or dancer, if you have an entertaining act that people will enjoy, audition! There’s no harm,” said Lexi.