Mr. Scholze: The Winding Pathway of Careers

Natural fit in Psychology.

Psychology is all about understanding the brain and it’s functions. Many of these aspects will often send you down a rabbit hole of questions. Mr. Scholze is MHS’s Psychology teacher. But what if we flipped the switch and asked him the questions? 

Emma Steele

Scholze has worked for MHS’s psychology department for the past four years but has had over 20 years of teaching experience, even in different departments. He’s worked within the Iowa area, North Carolina, and Wisconsin.

Before Scholze’s teaching career, he dedicated four years of his life to the United States Air Force. Along with another four years in the International Guard. Scholze states that many of his family members were either in the Marines, the Navy, or the Army. 

“I felt a responsibility to give something to our country and have always felt this drive to give back.”

Needless to say, Scholze has always been determined to be his best self in all aspects of his work. He goes as far as to describe himself as a perfectionist and a hard worker. Scholze describes how he likes the challenge of thinking on his feet and is always quick to start something new. He stated although being a teacher, he still feels connected to his students.

“I feel my students see me as someone who isn’t too far removed from who they are. I hope they feel  and know I’m willing to work with them. My goal as their teacher is to try and expose them to new things.”

Have you ever wondered, “What does my teacher do outside of school?” Exploring the outdoors and driving around is as per usual, a favorite activity amongst most. However, something students would be surprised to know about their psychology teacher is that he narrates books for authors, and has three narrated audio books published! Mr. Scholze’s narrated books!  This is something that he is very proud of and how it helps him contribute more to his family of five. Another thing Scholze does outside of school is golf, and while he taught in Iowa City, he was the head coach for girl’s golf for over a year!

How did we get from golf to psychology? Despite being seemingly some kind of a long shot,  Scholze states that he has always been interested in how the brain works. “For me it’s kind of a natural fit and it’s something I’ve always been interested in.” His dad was a person who had helped him go through with this decision telling him to do something that he’s good at and enjoys. 

Something else that you won’t find on his resume is his love for cat pictures on Pinterest and silly videos!

If you haven’t taken a Psycholgy/or AP Psycholgy, I would not think twice about signing up for these classes!