Faith Christopher: Life as a CNA

Take a look into Faith’s job as a teenage CNA

Many students at MHS have jobs like working at fast food restaurants or coffee shops. Some take MCC classes to become CNAs and some do construction jobs. Whichever job it is, our student body is already very engaged in the workforce. One student specifically, Junior, Faith Christopher has a very entertaining and interesting job that sets her apart from her peers’ normal part-time occupations. 

“My current jobs are a patient care technician at Pinnacle Memory Care in Muscatine and also Acute Care Unit at Unity Point Hospital in Muscatine,” said Faith. 

Faith’s jobs consist of her assisting her residents and patients in all daily care, such as hygiene, helping them go to the bathroom, getting them food and feeding them, entertainment, doing vital workups, and also monitoring if they have any abnormalities. Faith talks about why she chose to be a CNA as a high schooler. 

She said, “It’s something I always felt passionate about. From being a little kid playing nurse, to being able to be one at the age of 16 has truly been one of my biggest successes.”

Faith is motivated by patient care. 

“I wish ALL my coworkers were in healthcare for the right reasons, not just for money. You can tell a caring nurse from a nurse who just wants their paycheck,” she said. 

In any job, there are ups and downs, like working with people without the same intent. But because patient care is Faith’s priority, she moves past the downs. 

“Making patients happy is something I enjoy being able to do or just making them feel more comfortable in their situation,” she said.

On the other hand, as a 17-year-old, Faith has had to experience something that most teenagers do not experience at their job – what it is like to lose a patient. On top of this, another hardship, and probably no surprise with health care, is that sometimes patients have reached a point with their health that even the best care provider is unable to “cure” or help them. 

“The hardest part is not being able to take away the pain of sick patients, I just have to support them in the ways I can,” noted Faith.

Faith’s job as a CNA is a good example of how sometimes age is but a number. Even though in a lot of jobs teenagers are unable to fulfill the positions because of legality or just popularity, it is possible. 

If you are looking into health care or are interested in being a CNA, on your course selection sheet or at your meeting, tell your counselor that you are interested so that you can take the MCC classes available for you.

View Comments (1)