Women in FILM

5 of the most influential women in film, and movies to accompany them.

Women have a hard time getting the recognition they deserve in Hollywood, as the industry is unfortunately controlled by men. We witnessed a good example of this discrimination recently at the Oscars when Ryan Gosling was nominated as best supporting actor in the 2023 hit summer movie, Barbie. This caused controversy because neither Margot Robbie, who played the main character, Barbie, nor Greta Gerwig, who directed the movie, received any nominations. And that’s not to say Robbie and Gerwig did not do stellar in their fields, it’s to say the academy has sexist tendencies when it comes to appreciating women in film. 

Here is a list of 5 of some of the most influential women in film who have changed the game(in no particular order):

1. Sofia Coppola- Coppola is a very influential director. She is the daughter of Francis Ford Coppola, best known for directing The Godfather trilogy, but she does not follow his directing style. She focuses her films more on women empowerment, which is apparent in her most widely known movies, Lost in Translation, Priscilla, her directorial debut, The Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette, The Bling Ring, and The Beguiled. She is the first woman ever to receive a nomination for writing, directing, and producing in one year for her film Lost in Translation. Although Coppola is not my personal favorite female director, her talent in writing female characters is remarkable.
  2. Emma Stone- Although her name isn’t a generational known name, to the younger generation, Emma Stone, is one of the most well-known and well-respected actresses. She has only been in 42 films, but considering her age and the popularity of those films, her success is almost unmatched. Her insane list of films she has starred in covers, La La Land, Poor Things, Superbad, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), The Amazing Spider-Man duology, The Favourite, Crazy Stupid Love, Easy A, The Help, Zombieland, Cruella, and, of course, so many more.
  3. Meryl Streep- Streep has been in the film world since 1975. She is one of the most respected actors in Hollywood and has been described as “the best actress of our generation.” This is due to her versatility, dedication to her roles, and her ability to transform into any character possible. She is also one of the most decorated actors in history. Some of her most popular films include Little Women, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Devil Wears Prada, Mamma Mia!, Adaptation, Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie’s Choice, and The Deer Hunter. She doesn’t have a pattern when choosing roles because she can take on any character no matter how difficult.
  4. Whoopi Goldberg- Goldberg is an actress, comedian, talk show host, political activist, and singer-songwriter. When it comes to movie genres, Goldberg has most likely had a role in all of them. She has been in the film business since the 1980’s and has 250 movies under her belt. She is the first ever black woman to reach EGOT status (winning an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony). Although she is a very controversial person, her success in film does not reflect that. She has starred in The Lion King, Girl, Interrupted, Ghost, The color Purple, The Player, Toy Story 3, Sister Act, Till, and many more.
  5. Greta Gerwig- Gerwig is a younger woman than others on this list, but
    her accomplishments do not reflect that at all. She is an actress, writer, producer, and director. Some of the most notable films she has acted in include Frances Ha, 20th Century Women, Isle of Dogs, White Noise, Jackie, Mistress America, No Strings Attached, and The Meyerowitz Stories(New and Selected). But more famous are the films she has directed which include Babrbie, Lady Bird, Little Women, and Nights and Weekends. She likes to focus her films on women and their struggles and does an astonishing job at it. She is my favorite director and continues to amaze me with each new film.

Here is a list of movies that encompass women’s struggles and realities and turn them into something beautiful to watch and relate to: 

Of course any movie directed by Sophia Coppola or Greta Gerwig, Black Swan(2010)- Natalie Portman, Spencer(2021)- Kristen Stewart, I, Tonya(2017)- Margot Robbie, Hidden Figures(2016)- Taraji P. Henson, Gone Girl(2014)- Rosamund Pike, Girl, Interrupted(1999)- Winona Ryder, Kiki’s Delivery Service(1989)- Minami Takayama, Mona Lisa Smile(2003)- Julia Roberts, Thelma and Louise(1991)- Geena Davis, Poor Things(2023)- Emma Stone, The Help(2011)- Viola Davis, Legally Blonde(2001)- Reese Witherspoon, The Edge of Seventeen(2016)- Hailee Steinfeld, Perfect Blue(1997)- Junko Iwao, The Worst Person in the World(2021)- Renate Reinsve.