United By Passion: Meet “Nonetheless”, the All-Girl Teen Band!

From music school to center stage: The Rise of “Nonetheless”.
Izzy Bailey: Guitarist for ‘Nonetheless”

Picture this: a group of six talented girls, each with their own unique style and an unwavering passion for music. With guidance from the Quad City Rock Academy, they come together to form “Nonetheless”, an all-girl band that’s continuing to shake up the music scene!

A little bit outside of Muscatine in Davenport, Iowa, is the Quad City Rock Academy. This esteemed establishment has become an educational space for talented young musicians across Iowa to continue to grow and thrive in their passions.

Almost four years ago, the soon-to-be members of Nonetheless were all attending practices at this school to improve their skills on personal instruments. At first, the members didn’t even expect to be in a band!  Rhea Jain (Guitarist) stated, “I was in a band called Zero Gravity with Izzy, but I couldn’t continue. Around two years later my guitar teacher asked me if I was interested in joining Nonetheless and I obviously said yes.”

Rhea Jain: Guitarist and backup vocalist for Nonetheless.

Despite their age range being between 14 and 17 and going to different schools across eastern Iowa, such as Pleasant Valley, Muscatine, Davenport, and Rock Island, something they all have in common is their passion for music.

Although, the distance between the members can sometimes have disadvantages.

Liberty Smiley: Keyboardist for ‘Nonetheless.’

“There are a lot of conflicting schedules within the band because we are all so busy. However, we try to be as flexible as possible with each other’s commitments and we sometimes set up extra practice times to make sure we all feel good before a show!” stated the lead singer Fiona.

Nonetheless definitely has their own signature look while they are on stage. Wearing coordinated outfits of a pink or red shade. This coordination definitely adds to the excitement in their shows.  It is undeniable that one member has a song that she is more than happy to perform while on stage.

Mia, the guitarist, stated, “My favorite song to perform would probably be ‘Before He Cheats’. It really gets the crowd going and it’s a super fun song to play.”

Mia Grace: Guitarist and Backup Vocalist for Nonetheless.

As of right now, the girls are focused on writing and recording some original songs. A favorite among the band is “Long Gone.” Disappointingly, they have not yet been able to record for an EP or an album.

Brooklyn Mau: Drummer for Nonetheless.

However, while on stage, “We play covers of Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, Carrie Underwood, and other popular female artists. We have a couple original songs that we perform at shows. As of right now, we are working on writing our very first rock song,” noted Fiona.

When it comes to their inspirations and artists comparisons, Olivia Rodrigo is a name that commonly is agreed upon between the members. Band member Mia even states that she thinks Pink’s music could also be a close reference. 

“We definitely have been told that some of our songs sound like stuff Taylor Swift would write. Mostly because we are listening to her in the background while we write,” said Fiona.

Fiona Trieber: Lead Singer for Nonetheless.

The way in which complete strangers were put together to be a part of a band and it ending up with new friendships is truly heart-warming. They constantly show each other love, either through texts of appreciation or being included in an Instagram camera dump. These girls truly had been joined together in such an unpredictable situation to come out in a positive light to succeed their passion.

If you’re interested in seeing this amazing band in person, then you’re in luck! Nonetheless will be performing at the Summer Kickoff, May 18th, 2024, at Schwiebert Park in Rock Island. 

All of us in the band love each other very much. Our bond throughout the past year or so of being together has grown so so much

— Liberty Smiley