Senior Skip Day: A fun tradition or a burden for the school?

Learn about how anonymous seniors and staff feel about senior skip day and how administration should deal with it.

Now that the school year is coming to a close, seniors are anxious for their futures during the exhausting stress of finals. To relieve some of the anxiety and stress from the end of their high school years, MHS seniors have begun to implement timeless senior-year traditions to make the last few months tolerable.

One tradition that MHS is notorious for celebrating each year is senior skip day. Senior skip day is when seniors orchestrate a day to all skip school and go hang out instead. This tradition is celebrated mostly in the United States but also worldwide.

“Senior skip day is so fun! It’s just one of those fun opportunities for seniors that I think everyone should take advantage of,” said an anonymous senior.

This might seem like a lighthearted way to have fun as seniors celebrate the end of an era. But recently several school administrations have taken issue with the notorious skip day. This retaliation is executed by teachers going out of their way to schedule tests on skip day, with administration making several calls home and marking many “Not Presents” on Powerschool.

“I think senior skip day is one of those things that seniors look forward too and they shouldn’t be deprived of that. Though administration needs to follow their policies, so they really aren’t to blame,” said an anonymous MHS staff member.

Aside from some slight miscommunication with school administration, senior skip day is a fun tradition that seniors should embrace as they prepare for a new chapter of their lives. MHS’s very own senior skip day will be celebrated on the Monday after prom, which falls on April 29th, have fun MHS seniors!