Ninel Verdinez: Scrapbook savvy

Ninel Verdinez gives us a look into all she enjoys and what she is looking forward to this year.

Ninel Verdinez, MHS Junior, and the Informational Editor of The Auroran Today.

“I’m in charge of any editing, any stories about the school, things that are happening around the school, changes, stuff like that,” voiced Ninel.

She has been a part of Journalism classes for two years. When asked what drew her to journalism she said that she loved how open-ended it is.

“I love the creative factor of it. I love that I can write about anything that I really want. I like writing too.” 

As the Informational Editor of The Auroran, she has a goal set for the year to stay on top of the work and do well by her title in the organization. 

Ninel has some goals set for after high school as well including future plans and exciting ideas.

“One of my goals is to be an ultrasound technician so I’m taking human anatomy right now just to try to get familiar with the body,” Ninel stated. 

She also described her aspirations beyond her ideal career path such as traveling.

“I just want to travel for a little while. Traveling is definitely something that I’ve always enjoyed too. I really want to visit Colorado, Montana, [and] Washington. Those are places [at the] top of my bucket list.”

Some of Ninel’s scrapbooks.

Besides journalism, Ninel has some other things she enjoys spending her time doing. She expressed that she enjoys scrapbooking in her free time.

“I just like to go back through all those pictures and stuff and look at all the people who I love,” said Ninel.

It isn’t something she does every day, but she sees the long-lasting effects of the leisurely activity. When she looks back on all of the photos and memories she develops a gratitude for those around her.

“It makes me appreciate them more,” Ninel stated. 

Ninel began scrapbooking during her Freshman year of high school.

A page from Ninel’s scrapbook.

“Freshman year is when I first got a journal and instead of writing in it I would more like print out pictures and glue stuff in there,” Ninel said. 

She thinks of her scrapbook as a way to remember the best parts of high school and the best people, creating long-lasting and meaningful relationships.

Ninel considers herself very loyal to the people around her. She also states she is very open-minded to those in her circle, keeping a “don’t judge a book by its cover” perspective.

“We’re all human obviously, and I don’t like to think bad thoughts about people that I don’t even know,” said Ninel. “Especially in high school people like to gossip and stuff like that and I honestly don’t care for that. It’s immature and it’s not nice.”

When asked who has influenced her life, she credits her mom for always being a positive role model for her.

“My mom is definitely somebody who I want to be. Somebody who I look up to a lot.” Ninel stated. “Having my mom be there for me and show me and lead me is definitely the reason why I am who I am.”

Ninel’s Junior year will be scrapped by her friends, family, and the important roles she plays in the Newspaper.