Mahayla: The Melody of the Newspaper

A sneak peek in to the life of Mahayla Martin.

Alex Galloway, ’25

Mahayla Martin is a senior at MHS.  Her gas station order: coconut redbull, funyuns, and gummy worms.

“I am inviting, but on the outside, I feel I’m not the most inviting person. I think that a lot of people would say once they met me and got to talk to me that they would say I’m very comforting and easy to talk to which I pride myself on because I feel like that is such an important thing people need, someone to be comfortable around,” Mahayla said.

Mahayla with her friends(in the back from left to right) Jalea, Stella, Nina, and Estella(in the front) Amaya

Part of Mahayla is found through her friends. Jaela, Amaya, and Estella have been a part of her since their childhood. She said that her friends and her have gone through everything together and because of that she became more aware of who she is. 

Mahayla said, ¨I just feel like I find who I am through them and they teach me so many lessons. I also find that my friends are a big support system and I can tell them anything without any judgment and they understand and can help me.¨

Other than her friends Mahayla’s mom is also a very important part of her life. 

“My mom is a role model to me which is kind of a cliche answer but I just think that she has gone through so much, she’s always there for good advice and she’s always there for me no matter what,” Mahayla said. 

Her mom has taught her many things throughout her life, but especially to always be driven. 

“I put a lot of pressure on myself to be good at what I’m doing and I don’t want to do something halfway. I’m someone who actually enjoys working, it’s just something about being in a work environment, it takes my mind off of other things,” she said. 

Mahayla also said that she almost got put in the yearbook as Mahayla Blue because of her bumper sticker.  

Mahayla said “People might not know my last name because all of my social media accounts have my first and middle name. A friend was telling me a story of how her coworker called me Mahayla Blue thinking that was my name.”

Besides people not knowing her last name Mahayla also crochets sometimes even though she says she is really bad at it. Crocheting is mostly associated with one season and that is fall, which Mahayla is a very big fan of.  

“I am very much a fall girly. I love some Iced Pumpkin Chai, I love sweaters, and the whole Christian girl autumn aesthetic which is really funny to me. It’s such a comfort season for so many people,” Mahayla said. 

Mahayla goes on to say,  “I love all the candle smells and everything about it. My whole room is always fall-scented. I love scary movies but I also love comforting Halloween movies, especially Halloween Town and Twitches, like classic Disney Halloween movies.” 

Mahayla at Hinterland music festival

Besides the fall season and Halloween Mahayla loves music more specifically Frank Ocean but she talked about a couple of songs that “reset her emotions”. 

Mahayla said, “Emma by Andrew Barth Feldman, that song is just so good, it’s slow but also kind of fun. Also, Nights by Frank Ocean because everyone always talks about that famous beat switch in the middle but I just love the sound of his voice, it’s just good background music.”

We are very excited to have Mahayla officially join our newspaper team this school year!