The Volleyball Girls are Spiking the Competition.

“We just have to work harder and show people that beating a top team wasn’t just a one-time thing.”

The Muscatine High School Varsity Girls Volleyball Team has a power core of Seniors and a few astonishing underclassmen. On Tuesday, September 5th, they shocked some and made the large student section very excited, when they took down #2 ranked Davenport Assumption (3A) in three sets.

“It felt unreal that we knocked off such a high-ranked team and to do it with those girls was something we won’t forget,” Senior Brylee Seaman said, “I think the student section also played a big role with how loud they were and keeping the other team nervous.”

During the three-game battle, Assumption’s coach got thrown out due to arguing with the referee.

“Assumptions coach had some built-up anger along the game and it may have made their team a little off but we never let it affect us enough to throw us off our game,” said Brylee.

With eight more games in the regular season, the Muskies hope to end with a bang!

“I think that game affected the expectation for the rest of the season because now we have a bigger target on our back after beating the number 2 team,” Brylee said, “So we just have to work harder and show people that beating a top team wasn’t just a one-time thing.”

There is a lot to be proud of within the Muskie Volleyball program, and they hope to carry this momentum going forward in their season. As Seniors, this may be the last volleyball season for some, they want to make it their best yet. 

Show your Muskie spirit at the next home game on Tuesday, September 19th!