What’s the Connection? : iJAG

How is iJAG associated with The Muskie locker?

This school year, the iJAG program has reinstated the Muskie Locker and it is currently up and running for students to access. Along with this reopening, the Muskie Locker is also offering more essentials to the Muscatine High School students, not just clothing like in the past.

Muskie Locker has moved its location to the old Student Services, which is additionally used as the Instructional Coach Office. This means the location is in an area more accessible to students because it comes right before entering the lunch room, which is arguably the busiest hallway. Although Muskie Locker is not new, ownership of the program is new for iJAG.

iJAG Teacher and Coordinator, Mrs. April Samuelsson had a lot of information to add in about the renewal of The Muskie Locker.

“I would say last year and the years before it wasn’t as known but now we’re getting more of the word out of bags of Blessings. We send weekend food home with certain kids, and also send out our email to all the teachers so it’s getting used a lot more now,” stated Samuelsson.

Muskie Locker is easily organized for students. As soon as you enter, there are a variety of clothes on racks along with school supplies. There are different rooms in that unit that have more items on shelves such as clothing, feminine products, and hygiene products.

The shelves of the Muskie Locker filled with items students may need.

“Most of our products are donations from places like HNI. The banks in town have donated, and there’s a budget from the school district for the things that we would need to go get. Anybody can donate to the locker and a lot of people reach out and see what we’re low on and what we need,” stated Samuelsson.

Muscatine High School’s resources from these companies alongside Muscatine families pitching, really has helped students. Which has most definitely increased the success of The Muskie Locker.

iJAG Teacher April Samuelsson, the new Muskie Locker Coordinator has given a lot of information regarding this resource that the district provides for the school. Throughout the years improvements have made a difference because these contributions go out to fulfill students needs.