Senior Survivor : Team Avery & Creed

Get to know the “Blue Team” of Senior Survivor, and the charity they raised money for!

With the hustle and bustle of the approaching spring break, twelve MHS Seniors experienced this rush in a whole new way. MHS hosted their very own Senior Survivor Competition the week of February 26th – March 2nd. 

During Senior Survivor, duos choose a charity to support and raise money for leading up to competition week, and during. The top 6 teams who raised the most money get to compete in the competition week. This week includes sleeping at the school and competing in challenges all hours of the day and night. The team that raised the most money after competition week gets crowned as the winners.

Seniors, Avery Schroeder and Creed Birkhofer, were named the Blue Team during the week of Senior Survivor. They raised money for the Ronald McDonald House Charity throughout the week.

“We chose the Ronald McDonald House Charity because we both know so many people involved and who help with it already, and it’s local from Iowa City,” said Schroeder.

The Seniors got to pick their partners for the week. For selection, they needed to think about teamwork and perseverance, as almost all of the challenges included teamwork and strenuous activity. 

“I’ve always known Creed as an outgoing and inviting person so I thought I would ask him to be my partner,” said Schroeder. 

“I said yes,” Birkhofer chimed in.

Sleeping at the school every night might not be glamorous, but it was a bonding experience for all of the Seniors. The Seniors participated in a variety of challenges on a range from hot sauce tasting, to playing Just Dance or performing in a talent show.

The Senior Survivors after one of their many challenges

“The Just Dance challenge was really fun for all of us,” said Birkhofer.

By the end of the week, the survivor were exhausted, but all formed a close bond. Avery and Creed ended up as the 3rd place team for the week. This meant they raised a whopping $3,895.75 for the Ronald McDonald House Charity. This contributed to the total amount for all teams which ended up being $26,034.83. All of this money went to different local charities including the Ronald McDonald House Charity. 

“It was such a fun and unique experience that I will never forget,” said Schroeder.