The Downfall of Disney

A look into Disney’s shifting dynamic

While downfall is certainly a strong word, Disney has experienced some monetary losses as of late and some even feel that they’ve lost something in terms of the quality of their movies

At the end of last year, Disney experienced a fiscal loss for the first time in a very long time.

“Subscriber losses continued over the last three months, with the company reporting 146.1 million Disney+ subscribers… a 7.4% decline from the previous quarter and a larger loss than Wall Street expected,” explained Sarah Whitten, a writer at CNBC.

One has to question why Disney would experience a decline such as this one, part of this reason might be the fact that during May of this year Disney completely purged dozens of shows from the streaming service. Shows such as Willow, Big Shot, and Marvel’s Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever, to name a few.

In addition to monetary loss, some feel that Disney’s shift from 2D to 3D animation has caused a certain sentimental loss.

The animated version of Maleficent from the Disney classic Sleeping Beauty (1959)

One of Muscatine High School’s art teachers, Ryan Slattery, compared the two animation styles to a sweater your grandma knitted for you as opposed to one you bought from the store,

“They can both be great but they’re a little different. One’s gonna have a little more sentimental value or craftsmanship with it a little more, but the other one will serve the function… it’ll keep you warm but won’t have the same craftiness”

For many of us old Disney captures a sweet sort of storybook-esque feeling from our childhood that more recent movies might not.

In addition to the animation shift, many are bothered by the shift from new and original ideas to movies that are live-action remakes.

Live-action movies can be visually exciting but they don’t always live up to the original. Senior, Vanessa Mendoza, expands on this idea.

Angelina Jolie as the titular role of Maleficent (2014) in a live action re-imagining of the story of Sleeping Beauty.

“My favorite movie is Aladdin, the live-action was gorgeous but there was something about it that didn’t feel exactly like the original… I feel like I would’ve wanted a new animated movie instead of a retelling of an already beloved story,” stated Vanessa.

Between remakes, changing animation, and financial losses, one could certainly argue that Disney is experiencing a dramatic and detrimental downfall, but I want to know what you think. Vote in the poll and comment on this story to let us know how you feel about modern Disney!

This poll has ended.

Do you like old Disney or new Disney more?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.