Highs and Lows: Teacher Edition

Let’s look into the best and the worst of the school year for teachers!

Every student can agree they have highs and lows each school year, whether it’s social life or difficult classes. However, this does not limit to teachers.  With all being said, let’s look into the highs and lows of MHS Staff Members.

Mrs. Mohr

Morgan Mohr is an assistant principal at MHS and these are her highs. “My highs are watching graduation yesterday for sure, to me that was so special. [Also] Prom and Homecoming. I just like watching different students succeed individually.” Watching graduation is always a great experience, getting to see the people you care about walking across the stage and starting a new chapter of their life.

Despite the High High’s, lows still occur.“My low would usually be the month of February, not a lot of sun, typical.”

Mrs. Bonebrake

Rochelle is one of MHS’s school nurses! You can always find her with a smile on her face and a helping hand for students who walk into the Nurse’s Office.

These are some of her highs. “My high for the year would be seeing all the students who come into the nurses office on a regular basis and being able to help them mitigate through medication needs, mental health needs, or any kind of emergencies that they have.” 

In my personal experience, Rochelle has always helped me through many things and she is probably the adult I talk to the most. I go to her with new information all of the time.

However, this doesn’t mean she doesn’t have lows of her own. “My low would have to be the same thing, we have had some really sick students, we’ve had some really sick staff members and just seeing the shape that they’re in when they come in can be sad.”

Mr. Najarro

Mr. Najarro teaches orchestra here at MHS and has an amazing fun personality. He always finds a way to cheer someone up with his sarcasm.

Mr. Navarro

Here are some of his highs. “My high for this year was getting to begin the mariachi ensemble here at Muscatine. The students have grown into very good mariachi players and I am very proud of them.” 

The mariachi ensemble is an orchestra group that started this year at MHS. The group has gotten the chance to play at many of the orchestra concerts while still being fairly new!

Despite Najarro’s Funny and sarcastic mood, he has his own lows. “My low for the year has been not teaching certain rhythms, not being able to communicate certain aspects of the music.”

Miss. Priest

Miss. Priest co-teaches MHS’s orchestra with Mr. Najarro and they make a great team. They split up conducting the songs and group lessons during class. Along with being a dynamic duo, they are also a very funny pair to watch at a concert. 

Here are some of Miss Priest’s High’s, “My highs are getting to know students on a deeper level, after having them 2 years in a row.” She loves her students but can get frustrated when they don’t listen, but that doesn’t mean that she cares any less about them. 

Here are some of her low’s,“My low would have to be saying goodbye to students that I only had for 2 years wishing that I had some of them longer.”

Mr. Navarro & Miss. Priest

Our teachers are all human. They all have their good and bad days, ups and downs,. So with that being said, we still need to appreciate their hard work.

Who is your favorite staff member at MHS? Make sure to say goodbye before the end of the school year!