Is Breakfast Essential?

A look into whether or not breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

If you asked students at MHS if they ate breakfast, most of them would say no. But why is that?

Breakfast is the first meal of the day. It is what you eat right after you wake up, and It is often called the most important meal of the day. It is called breakfast because it breaks the fast from dinner the night before.

In Studyfinds.org it reveals that, “1 in 4 people say they never have time to make breakfast,” and that, “Americans waste $1,500 yearly in breakfast foods they wind up never eating.”

A lot of people also say that they would rather catch up on a couple more minutes of sleep than have breakfast. Although sleep is beneficial there are also benefits of breakfast that many people miss out on.

Better Health Channels says, “Breakfast replenishes the stores of energy and nutrients in your body,” as well as that, “People who do not have breakfast may not meet their recommended daily intakes of fibre, vitamins and minerals.”

Not only this but HealthyChildren.org says, “Studies show that eating breakfast positively affects school performance. They have better concentration and more energy,” and that, “Kids who skip breakfast seem to be more likely to develop metabolic conditions such as high blood sugar, increased blood sugar, abnormal cholesterol levels and extra fat in the waist. These conditions increase the risk of diabetes, stroke and heart disease.”

Despite all of this confirming that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, students still decide against eating breakfast.

HealthyChildren.org elaborated on this when it states, “when kids don’t get enough sleep, they may wake up too tired or too nauseous to eat.”

Students not only get health benefits from breakfast but also in their academic performance.

Kids Health shares that, “[Breakfast] Can help kids do better in school. Improves memory and attention, which kids need to learn. Breakfast eaters get better grades and score higher on standardized tests. And kids who participate in school lunch programs have fewer absences from school.”

At MHS there is breakfast provided in the cafeteria. Although it does have to be bought unless there are special circumstances involved. Breakfast at MHS consists of cereal, juice, fruit, donuts, french toast, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, breakfast burritos, pop tarts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and more. There are also options of vending machines.

“I personally do not eat breakfast but when I have it’s not bad,” shared Charles Loos, a Sophomore at MHS.

So maybe next time you have an important test grab some breakfast either at home or at the school to help your performance throughout the day.