Eliana ‘Guidette’ Cangro: The Muskie Band Programs Personal Comedian

For the first two months of school, marching band participants are together for at least an hour every day, and it is very easy to get annoyed with one another. So it is more worth your while to make it fun and Eliana Cangro is the best at that. Eliana has been in the marching band all four years of high school, playing the trumpet. For the past two years, she has been a section leader. She is also involved in jazz ensemble, symphony, and regular concert band. 

“My trumpet’s name is Bachusus. It’s spelled, B-a-c-h-u-s-u-s.” Eliana said, “I’ve been playing since fifth grade.”

Eliana wants to continue playing trumpet into her college years. She plans to be in the marching band and maybe some concert bands once she enters college. 

Eliana and two of her best friends, Laura Eads and Brenden Steele. 

“After high school, I plan to go to Iowa and major in biology and music performance, specifically trumpet performance,” Eliana said, “I want to be in the Hawkeye Marching Band with my best friend Brenden Austin Steele.”

Eliana is one of the funniest people you will talk to. You can practically hear her laugh from miles away. Especially when she would talk into a microphone over the speakers at the high school stadium at a 7:00 am marching band rehearsal. Her personality is something that you don’t come around often, and you need to appreciate it. 

Describe yourself in three words- “I would say loud, but not in a disrespectful way, outgoing, and humble,” Eliana said, “I would say I’m also very truthful like I won’t sugarcoat something, I will speak my mind.”

Another word that could be used to describe her is confident. Her confidence radiates from her and you can’t help but feel positive after talking to her. She says that you have to be conscious of who you’re with and talking to if you want to feel your best.

“You have to look at the people you surround yourself with. If they make you feel like you’re nobody, you’ll think, oh, they’re better.” Eliana said, “I feel like I match people’s confidence levels and energy levels.” 

If you see Eliana around town she will be in her signature Cadillac. But first, rest in peace to her old 2005 Cadillac CTS named Francesca who is no longer with us, but lasted her a good four months. 

“That was my baby for a good four months and then some unforeseen circumstances happened. So after that, I was without a car for six months.” Eliana said, “But finally I got one. She is my pride and joy. It is a 2009 Cadillac STS her name is Sketti. She’s purple and sparkly and she’s my baby.”

Eliana has acquired many nicknames in her time at MHS, like the Italian stallion. But some might know her as “Guidette”; she even has a Guidette crown in her car. Although it didn’t originate in high school, she loves to call herself that. There’s even a sweet story behind it.

“Well, my mom and my dad, when I was little, used to call me one,” Eliana said,  “Then I know during competitions, like for show choir specifically, my mom would write notes, like shoutouts. She would say something and always add “Guidette”. So it’s almost like an inside thing with my parents.”

Eliana is a phenomenal student and trumpet player and an even better person. Whether it’s her laugh or joking, she is hard to miss. And if you get the chance to talk to her, there’s no doubt you will be laughing until your stomach hurts.