The Pajama Pandemic

The students of MHS are roaming the halls in slippers and PJ clothes, is it an issue?

It’s 7 A.M. and you’re deciding your outfit for the school day. You barely slept and know you have a long strenuous school day ahead of you. So… you want to be comfy. You decide to put on your warm socks, fuzzy pants, warm sweatshirt, and even your slippers, and head out for the day. 

I am a CONSTANT participant in the pajama pandemic. My day does not feel like it can get started without my lovely UGG slippers. Going throughout my day in my plaid PJ pants from last year’s family pajamas just puts me in a better mood. I always thought that school was a place to learn, not a fashion show. If I have to go to school for 7 hours, I might as well dress comfy while I’m at it.

Winter is the season I despise the most because I cannot wear my slippers in the melting snow. But usually, I will find a way to wear some comfortable shoes. Senior, Jaela Staker loves her combination of fuzzy socks and slippers. 

“They keep me warm and they’re very comfy. It’s also so much easier to take on and off,” said Jaela. 

Many students wear pajamas to school because of the convenience.

“People do better during exams when dressed in what they feel is the most comfortable. Not only does it boost test scores, but dressing comfortably has also been shown to increase productivity at school, work, and home.” (Hilite.org)

Junior Ninel Verdinez has a similar opinion to the source above. 

“Last year during finals I dressed comfier not just because I was going to be here for only two or three periods but because we were going to have to sit there for a long time and I wanted to be comfy. It’s helpful because I am comfortable and I do not have to worry about what I’m wearing when I’m already stressing about tests. Yesterday I even saw someone wearing a robe and I thought it was funny,” said Ninel. 

Librarian, Mrs. Connie Kietel also agrees, “I would agree with the source as long as they are comfy here, and getting an education that is all that matters.” 

What was once just a spirit day is now a social norm. [Picture of Junior Koen Tiecke]
Other people believe that the Pajama Pandemic conflicts with basic “manners” that should be shown during the average school day.

“I think it’s been normalized [in highschool], but in elementary you would question why they would be wearing PJs, like did they forget to get dressed in the morning? But now it’s just a more comfy way of dressing,”  said Junior Alina Cardona.   

As a culture, are we okay with this overly comfy style that used to be against the dress code? 

“I don’t know if it should be normalized, it kinda goes against etiquette but I do not know if it shouldn’t. I just think people should be allowed to do their thing,” said Alina. 

Though, there are other students who have gotten tired of seeing their peers wear pajamas every day.

Junior, Germane Payne, said, “I wonder what they sleep in then. If you go to school in your pajamas what do you sleep in? The slippers are cute though.”  

Senior, Kayla Marquardt agreed with Germane, “Some people can rock it, or some people it will show if they are trying or not.” 

With finals week the stress levels for students are going to be at their highest, so put on those PJs, test and lock in on those finals. And don’t worry about how you look, the high school can agree that finals are more important than a silly outfit.