Student Section Leaders: Real Talk

Aubrey Bender, Grace Zorich, Ethan Heinrich, and Hayden Anderson talk about the way to be good student section leaders, and how the students and the leaders themselves make the school games and events enjoyable experiences.
Ethan Heinrich, Aubrey Bender, Grace Zorich, and Creed Birkhofer at the away game against IA City West. Student Section Theme: Neon.

Being a student section leader can seem simple, but there are responsibilities that come along with it. Taking charge and being a good model for other students also takes part in being a student section leader, and boosting the morale of the school as well.

“We really want to get the students and community involved with our school, and school spirit,” said Ethan.  

Something the section leaders suggest to students is to come to the games and support the players of the game while you’re there. People shouldn’t exclusively socialize, but cheer loudly and do chants when they are happening. 

“Just get involved while you can before your senior year comes and it’s over,” said Ethan.

Players get super motivated when they know they’re being supported during their game or meet. Cheering them on helps them strive to win their games. 

“During the volleyball game against Assumption, the student section was super loud. The players said it pumped them up, and helped them win,” said Aubrey.

Grace also mentions that it’s nice to know people are supporting the players, and took the time out of their day to come and cheer for them.

“It sucks when you’re losing, and there’s no one there to motivate or cheer you on,” said Ethan. 

Though most of the time, things go well at games and events, lately the underclassman (freshman) are beginning to disrupt the peace by throwing trash, etc, down to the front of the bleachers (upperclassman, usually).

“If you throw something we will bring you to the front of the student section and make you apologize,” said Aubrey.

“The trash throwing is dumb. Don’t hurt others, it’s not the Muskie way,” said Hayden and Ethan.